Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Explanation or Caption

This can be considered either. Or both. I wanted to explain or caption on the drawing titled "Open Mouth, Insert Foot". I probably don't even need to. We've all been there. This saying has always been kind of funny to me. Maybe more than it should. It does remind me of what would be illustatrted on the Far Side cartoon by Gary Larson. I can think of so many times where I've needed to insert a foot. It makes me think of a trip to Wildwood, N.J. where my dad, upon seeing a cute little boy with a big blue knot on his head, said sweetly "Oh, What did you run into little fella". This is where the mom pipes in and replies "actully, it's a hematoma he he was born with.....ect...etc....or when you make a comment or joke at a party and it is responded by cricket chirps. One time, at a gallery opening a fellow artist and myself were talking with a guy who was at the show. He's telling us about these great pair of socks he's wearing...how they will last forever...or something like that...and I add "Yeah, you'll be buried in those socks!"........... CHIRP, CHIRP , CHIRP...........I meant that he'll have them forever. I'm not predicting his death. Anyway.....
As I started this piece, I was only thinking of how facinating those heron feet are. They are so angular and foriegn to me. I wanted to make it the feature of the drawing. I added the beak because I felt it needed it.

So as I was matting this drawing, I noticed a mistake that I had over-looked earlier.

I had accidently signed it twice.....

...here we go again......insert foot....

2 comments:

Viajeros said...

i love the little glimpses into your artist's brain! AND i love your work!

Jennifer Nolan said...

Thank You!